Monday, May 15, 2006

Update on Mi Vida Loca

I know I promised to blog more often, well - hey here I am again! Good news: Finals are over! I am one class away from my Bachelor's degree....wait....applause.......
bows..."thank you." Okay - just a major moment of conceit lol - no - I meant confidence and gratitude. I am so thankful that all this hard work is finally paying off. God is opening new doors for me every time I turn around. I used to run FAR away from change or shake my head consistently, "Nope, don't want change!" and throw a tantrum like a two year old, but now I am adjusting to change in a much better way.

I celebrated Cinco de Mayo in Houston, Texas and had such a wonderful time. I had the opportunity to meet with some great artists. I was super-excited - the way I get when Dillard's has a 75% sale.

The first person I ran into - as I searched for the auditorium to hear Jackie Guerra (from Selena) speak - was "shoegirl," a blogging friend, and sucia! We just ran into each other - how cool is that?

After that motivatinal speech from Jackie Guerra, I walked out of there thinking "I am going to flaunt my big booty and remeber I am a MEXI - CAN!" These were some valid points in her speech. I started to explore the booths and wanted to get my hands on everything. I stuffed my bag with brochures, pens, books...it was a LATINO book fair! My niece pointed out this awesome Frida Kahlo tote-bag that I just had to purchase in bright red. I took a photo of this art work that is my shout right now -

I just love art work that speaks whether through text like this example or visually through the actual appearance. I also just love the bright colors.

I also had to stand there next to this other art-work -what do you think of this photo? I have another where I am smiling - all close-mouthed, and I look a little stuck up - this is more ME.

I bought Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez's new book, Make Him Look Good, and it's now autographed in purple script. I was in the front row hearing her speak, and wow, she has a great sense of humor that just lit me up and made me laugh so hard I nearly cried. And, check out this photo -
Everything else is just plain peachy! Will tell you more next time!!! So stay tuned until the next entry of Mi Vida Loca!!


7 comments:

ShoeGirl Corner said...

WOW! There I am on your blog! Thanks for sending me the pictures of the book fair. I had a great time too. Jackie and Alisa were awesome.

a faith bigger than fear said...

I'm thrilled for you and envious at that! I need to get out more.

I think I've been living a closed and sheltered life. Learning to be independent at my age is like training an old dog new tricks!! GOOD FOR YOU!!! KEEP IT ROCKING GIRL!!!

I didn't celebrate cinco de mayo... It was never made a "holiday" when I was growing up... really don't know why, but I'm with you on the Woman Movement! I was brought up that our place was in the house, in the kitchen and making babies. I broke that mold in my family!

Congratulations on being so much closer to that degree!!!

I am proud to be a computer technician, I surprised my entire family with my career move. They never saw it in me...just goes to show, "We can do anything we set our minds to".

You are definitely on your way! Maybe one day, we'll run into one another...

Much love and amor!!!

aka - Sugar Cat ;)

P.S.
I love the picture that is "you"...

furtherleft said...

Hola Elsie, tejana cielito lindo,

Someone connected to our Further Left Forum through your blog. Chances are it was a promotional bot. It may have been you. But whatever, that brought me here. I read through and am impressed by what I see, Good writing, photos, Frieda in image and stance, music notes (I play guitar corridos as they're made up), memories of south Tejas living, feeling expression, impressionable layout design.

I'll walk on the thought before you cast this aside as the common cantina "What's you sign" pick up line probably still used by the young, I'll walk on that thought. I am an old gringo in birth and background, Mexicano in heart, and happily married for the last 48 years of my 74. It'll stay that way until for the last time we sing again "This may be the last time", a cherrished song learned in the southern US civil rights movement of the 60's.

Though we've lived happily in Chicano culture of Donna, near McAllen, I doubt we'll see it or any of the US again, having expatriated to the state of Jalisco, Mexico 19 years ago. Might be different if you were example of most there. Unfortunately, you are not, and we prefer living among those who are, porque se alegran las corazones.

I write this in hopes you might be interested in joining us and letting us benefit online from your openness and exuberance of life. We are not so "Gosh gee" happy about what's around us as I see expressed on your blog. In fact quite, we are quite angry about what we find, especially where we see your nation attempting to drag the world. What we do is our damndest that we can online to stand in their way. Several of us have become close friends in that endeavor.

We operate three internet entities, all connected. The basis is a Further Left Chat Room. Associated with that is a Further Left Library where pertinent articles are stored and available. The address to that is http://furtherleft.net . It contains a link to the Chat Room. Finally, we have a Google blog serving as a posting Forum at http://furtherleft.net/forum . There are among its links those to the Library materials and the Chat Room. Either are good representations of what we are about.

In brief explanation, the words "Further Left" refer to process rather than position and imply changing stance to better contribute to enabling oppressed peoples to strike at causes of concerns as they see fit.

I will spread the word of your blog's existence and also hope you give us a look with prospect we may come to know you.

Espero que nos vemos,
Pocho

Rose said...

Congrats on your Bachelors. I know you feel so accomplished. God will open doors if we just let him. Continue to let him do his work....again congratulations..

~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments, and I will continue looking @ your sites. Sugar Cat- thanx for sharing the love of the women's movement - we are truly equal in society today! Pocho - welcome! Muchas gracias!! Rose - big hugs! I wil continue letting God guide me in every step I take. :)

Karla said...

I am so Jelouse for the fact that you got to meet Shoegirl.

Congrats on the Bachelor's. You deserve it girl.

LOL, I am glad that I am No the only one who gets excited about a Dillard's Sale :)

I LOVED that Bag that says "Libertad a Girl's Best Friend" Yellow is one of my favorite colors. Rock it out girl!

Love the pic of you and Alisa, You both look so pretty. I also bought Make Him Look Good but i still have not had a chance to read it.

~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

Karla - congrats to you too on your Bachelor's!! OMG, I LOVE Dillard's :). I am still finishing up MHLG - thanx for the comments!