Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Christmas Fiestas

First Christmas Party was with the Latina Forum. We have mentored to several young girls age 14-18 from the Victoria, Texas area. We saw Christmas as a great time to get together and talk. Have a heart-to-heart as our President Gloria says. This Christmas party was great, felt right at home con las mujeres (with the women). Gloria was ready to ask questions about how college and high school had been going for the girls. In case there are any problems, we like to help solve problems and encourage them.
My cousin Kristin was with me, and I was proud of her when she shared how challenges in school influence her to try harder. I am glad at such a young age, she is already realizing how we have to work our nalgas (booties) off to get to top. Reminds me of Gloria's metaphor about that ladder of success. It constantly goes through my mind, I like it. We go up that ladder one step at a time and before we reach the next step we help someone else up. Como mi vida, (like my life) I always want to help someone, influence them so they can better themselves, and be happy. I think I get it from my daddy. Daddy is happy being a truck driver and living on the road, and he's convincing everyone it's a great job and he makes good money. The same way my dad convinces other men to be truck drivers, I convince people to go to college or some form of higher education. Being part of the Latina Forum is important to me, because I have the opportunity to help people.
My community activities are important to me, because here I find fullfillment. Yea, yea I got off topic here. The Christmas party was fun being surround by highly educated women and mentoring to young girls who needed our guidance was an enjoyable and rewarding experience that is truly priceless. It was fun being near Becca Garicia and her cravings for potato chips and Cheetos. We laughed and shared examples of clothing and accessories we like. We also shared how shopping is therapy. if I am feeling down or I need an instant pick-me-up, I go shopping. When I come home with shopping bags loaded with clothes and accessories, my mom is like "Not again!" I quickly answer with "I was depressed, so I went shopping." This became an expensive habit once I saw the credit card bills. Como "perdoname por favor" (like forgive/pardon me please) but I found such great deals." Tonight was a second fiesta with my family, all my mom's side. It was fun taking pictures of the family and lining them up in the way I was taught. My mother bragged about me and how I took a course in photography and I was nearly a professional. Not exactly a professional, yet. But I do have about six years of experience.

No comments: