Monday, August 01, 2005

Blogging as a Hobby

After reading Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez's final blog for the meantime, I realized several things. I just recently started blogging on a regular basis; it's not something I would do like in an addictive manner; I don't have the time for that. I do have several thoughts, floating through my mind, waiting to be released so that's why I blogg on here. I know someone out there is gonna read em' and maybe comment. I like to record my thoughts on here. I am not showing every side of myself, like stripping naked in front of one hundred million people. I don't see it as that. Although, I'm an open book shouting in your face about who I am (in person sometimes,) I am not this way as a blogger? I hope not!

To me, it's like an online journal where I share what I want to share with a boundary. Boundaries are great to have in life - they help create those lines we should not cross. I am hesitant about crossing lines, afraid to put my big toe out there - that's how hesitant and chicken sh*t I can be.

I like blogging and reading other people's blogs. It's interesting to see what happens in the lives of other people. It's not addicting to the point I am going to keep reading blogs instead of my school work or I'd rather sit and read blogs instead of gardening or riding through the country. Oh hell no! Being out there in the "real world," is so much more fulfilling than sitting in front of a computer all day. I sit in front of a computer all day for about seven hours a day, five days a week, because of my job. This is why I have free-time to post on Yahoo groups and blog. If I had a different job, I probably wouldn't be so active online.

I have such an important life out there - outside that glass door of the office. I am the type of person that loves to be out there - living, talking, hanging out, just taking joy in being alive. This is why I love that my desk @ home is near a window. I find myself glancing outside frequently to see the greenery of the yard and the moving shadows of the big oak tree. Before I know it, if I am not in a rush writing something, you know on a roll where I don't want to stop. I'm going to go outside and enjoy that natural environment. I am gonna water my plants, miss my dog I used to play with before he died, and enjoy being outside.

These are reasons I know I want to be a college professor. I want to stand up in front a class, I don't care what size, and talk, lecture, and teach. This is my goal. Then for those days I want to sit @ home and write, write those stories that are budding my head like tiny flowers waiting to grow larger.

Blogging is fun; a great way to let those emotions out. Just a great way of expressing myself. Blogging is a form of writing. Since I love writing, I love blogging. As mentioned earlier, it's not a form of exposing mysef so that people will take advantage of that and hold it against me, but it's just a form of writing. That's it. And...if you don't like it, you don't have to read it!

Sometimes, I think I am more outspoken on-line lol. Look at that last sentence; nombre, I am never that forward. I'm an indirect person - I like people to read between the lines. Sometimes, though I don't want to beat around the bush, I just want to say it. Throw it out there...and that's it!

2 comments:

whyshewrote said...

I've been blogging for about five years (before the trend grew into an epidemic) and I used to write about every little detail in my life. I would bare my entire soul for all to read and in the end, like you said, people ended up trying to hurt me by using what was personal to me against me.

Since then, I haven't felt entirely safe writing in that way again. I think you are right in a sense to have those boundaries. As a blogger, I have my boundaries. While I may write about something personal, I often have to hold back because I don't want what was done to me in the past to happen again.

However, as a writer, as a poet, I can't have those boundaries even though at times, I feel safe behind them. Writers write the truth, in all of its bare and brutal ugliness. That's one important lesson in writing that I have learned.

whyshewrote said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.