Thursday, August 04, 2005

Sipping Chai Tea & Writing

Alright people: I have some ideas; I'm gonna write on here and later copy and paste into the story. Here's a sneak preview. Ok, fingers ready, here I go!!!!!!

Alondra stood there in a mixture of suprise and shock, looking at Xandra as she drove away. Her long curly hair flew out the open window.

This isn't happening; where is she going? She felt helpless, alone, lost. She looked down at the hunter green carpet and the top of her toenails. I need to repaint them. That burgundy has paled to a chili red.
"Are you here for the meeting?" The Anglo girl approached her with a metal smile of braces. She tossed her straight dirty blonde hair to the side and moved her brown framed glasses up. Why did she leave me here with these nerdy white girl? I know she didn't.
"The SGA meeting?" Alondra said, cocking her brown eyebrow. The girl nodded and smiled again. Alondra nodded and looked around as more people started to arrive. Other college students. Different faces. Different races.
"I'm Sandy. Are you a freshman?" She extended her hand toward Alondra. Alondra touched it lightly and then stepped back.
"Yes, I am a freshman here. My friend just left. She is supposed to be joining."
"Oh Xandra? She's not joining. She's part of the LAC, Latin American Club." Huh? Xandra lied to me? Alondra thought angrily. She started to fiddle in her Fendi bag for her keys. I'm leaving this place; there is no way I am going to hang out with these white people.
"You aren't leaving? It's going to be a fun organization. Stay with me." Sandy pleaded with her brown eyes, looking at Alondra. Alondra stopped looking for her keys, looked at Sandy with compassion. I guess I can stay, she thought reluctantly.
"Okay. It's for 'leaders.' You know, I'm a leader; That's why Xandra told me to come here. I don't know where she went."
"Didn't you know it's club week? She has to go represent LAC. This is a big day at college. All the clubs get together and try to recruit members."
"I know that." Alondra snapped. She saw Sandy's face change with hurt. She patted her on her arm.
"I'm sorry. It's just - I didn't expect Xandra to walk out on me like that." Alondra felt betrayed that Xandra would say "be right back" and not return. Just drive off in her red Ford Escape with the windows down, Tejano music blaring out.
"Let's go inside the room. So we can get good seats." Sandy urged Alondra. Alondra tried to hide her annoyment. How am I going to relate to this girl? She's white. She thought to herself.
They flopped down on a comfy couch in the student organization room. Sandy started asking her questions after questions.
"What's your major? Are you transferring? Is Xandra your cousin?"
"One question at a time." Alondra pleaded.
"Please. I don't know my major. I'm just here." She shrugged and looked around the room at all the photos. There were photos of different events at the college.

No comments: