Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Poem: "I Feel Proud When"

Last night in class, guess what I was doing? Listening to a lecutre about the Iliad and thinking about poetry. I was jotting down notes slowly on the right side of my desk and my hand kept sliding over to the left side of my desk where my little purple and brown striped writing journa sat open. The journal was calling to me, kept saying "Elsie! Get your ideas out on paper now that you have them, so you won't forget them. Just do it. Write." I kept sliding my hand over to the left side, writing frantically. My friend nudged me, thinking I was taking notes frantically. No way, I've read the Iliad twice already, and just reviewed the theme of friendship over the summer; it's fresh in my mind. Writing now, that was so fresh in my mind, I had to jott down lots of ideas on paper. About six pages of written indentations in black ink. For some reason, when I write, I press real hard on the paper so that my words are engraved on the paper. Alright, ENOUGH YOU SAY! GET TO THE POEM. SHUT UP! LOL, here's the poem (just a rough draft - subject to change.) Ok, I'll shut up so you can read...

"I Feel Proud When"

People in town recongize me
as one of the Contreras girls
"Si, you're the baby, verdad? La mona?"
- Yes, that's me.
"Such a respectful young lady."
"You make your family proud."
- Gracias, Senora

I feel proud when
people say
"Your bro's a good man; puro Contreras."
"And your sisters? Married with those beautiful children."
- Must be the way we were raised.
Taught to value family above all else

With loving hands
that hugged
and spanked
when necessary

With guidance y consejos
enough choice to be different
in our own seperate ways

With limited freedom to roam
off in different directions
but not enough to wander away
and get lost in the ways of the world

I feel proud when
I remember respect and morals
that has been branded on my skin
for all the world to see
like a bad sunburn
that reddens my face

I feel proud when
I remember Mama said
"I never promised you a rose garden."
And Daddy said
"Mija, you have to work for everything you have."

I feel proud when
my sisters smile
because they drive their own cars
with tinted windows,
tv screens,
CD players,
sunroofs,
we can't forget the cool a/c

I feel proud when
I remember the gravel roads
we traveled down during my childhood
puffs of dust flying inside
drying our eyes
till they itch and water
the truck rattling
rocking me to sleep

I feel proud when
my bro pulls up in his 18-wheeler
coming to grab
a hot tortilla fresh off the comal
he's big and round
with a sarcastic sense of humor
previous signs of cancer
invisible

I feel proud when
I say - I am a Contreras
Con que?
Con - treras
The r's roll off my tongue quickly

I feel proud when
I remember who I am
blending these old-fashioned ideas
from mi familia
my roots
mi cultura
with new generation ideas
of opportunity in life
that I grasp
with a strong hold
with a determined passion
to remember these stories
of family memories
of family good times
de mi familia

No matter where I go
what distances I travel
in my heart
I will always be a Contreras
When people see my face
and see my daddy's dimples
hear my mother's "sin pelos en la lengua" voice
they will recognize me as a Contreras
I will feel proud when...

Comments? Memories?

5 comments:

Lu Soto said...

That is a very cute poem...

Claudia said...

I can feel the pride in your words. Love it.

This one made me giggle at remembering when I first heard my Mom reference this saying:
"sin pelos en la lengua"

You just can't translate that to English and have it sound as sassy. ;-)

~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

To everyone who has commented so far: Thank you for your positive feedback. I am glad that I made some of you think; I was even trying to do that, lol. I was just trying to show my pride in my family and instill some in the reader - make you look at yourself and your family and express gratitude for these "priceless" family memories/lessons. I am glad someone shares in my opinion that some things just sound better in Spanish. This is why I write in Spanish. To itzme: I love to be near water; it gives me a sense of comfort and peace.

Karla said...

Elsie, I loved the poem it was deep and the pride that you have in your family shows. I have to say when you mention riding in the bakc of the truck and how that motion puts you to sleep brings back memories. I agree with itzme that is a nice pic. It makes me want to sit under that tree and read.

Stacy-Deanne said...

This is beautiful. This was really nice to read. I've been in a terrible mood all day but reading this made me look at myself and make a mental list of things to be proud about. It's good that you did this. Women should stop every once in a while and remember what's good in their lives or about themselves. Sometimes it's the only way to survive. Love the blog.