Thursday, August 25, 2005

Barbie Q by Sandra Cisneros

If you didn't know, Sandra Cisneros is my most favorite author for many reasons. Most importantly, because she was the first Latina - Mexicana author I ever read. The moment I was exposed to her literature, I became inspired. Ironically, I read "Straw into Gold: The Metamorphsis of Every Day" and these words would continue to guide through my life as I have pursued my college career.

In my Ethnic Lit course, we just began with Cisneros' Women Hollering Creek & Other Stories. What better ethnic writer than Cisneros? I love this course. Number one because I have a background knowledge of most of the authors we will be reading. Number two, because I enjoy any type of literature. Number three, because I am getting exposure to MORE authors.

We read "Barbie Q" today. The reason I am blogging about this is because of all the memories that this one story brought back to me. I loved Barbies as a little girl. I had 48 of them. Yes, I said 48. By the way, - to the reader- what were your favorite toys as a child? When I played Barbies, I made up stories. Barbie divorced Ken and kept the house, boat, and pink Corvette. Things like this. Barbie beat up Midge for kissing Ken. Midge had twins from Ken. Stories, my own little soap operas. My family used to tease me because I had noises on in my bedroom as a child. Noises of conversation and music. Noises of stories. They thought I was talking to myself. Nombre, I was creating stories and my characters (the Barbies) were acting them out. Thought I'd share that personal memory with my readers. Well, I recommend Sandra Cisneros; she's an awesome writer. My all-time favorite.

Her stories and books are so full of culture, emotion, family values, identity issues. Everything! They can be applied universally as well. I admire her talent as a writer. I want to meet her one day. I really do. I want to walk right up to her, give her a big hug, and say "Thank you for being yourself. Thank you for being a writer. Most importantly, thank you for inspiring me."

I'll leave you with this quote from Cisneros in "Tepeyac": Who would've guessed, after all this time, it is me who will remember when everything else is forgotten...

Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories, page 23.

3 comments:

~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

Thanks for telling me about your favorite author, Daahsar. I'll pick up one of her books. I like stories about "ordinary people" with extraoridinary lives.

Nana, that was so sweet of you to give your Barbies away!

Karla said...

I love Sandra Cisneros and "Women Hollering Creek & Other Stories" is a great book i read it a while ago.

Julia Alvarez is my favorite author because she was the first Latina Dominicana author i have ever read and also because i love the way she writes.

I remember haveing a few Barbies but i was more of a Rainbow Bright girl.

~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

Mia: You go girl w/ your sports! That's awesome!

Karla: Rainbow Bright, awww how cute! My sis liked her. You see you relate to Julia Alvarez, the same way I relate to Cisneros. Isn't it great?